The first week of school has been a huge success! Your little penguins are learning many new first grade routines and adjusting very well. Ask them about all the “silent signals” they have been practicing this week, and some amazing words they have been introduced to. Give them a pat on the back for a job well done!
We will continue to practice many of those routines in the next few weeks, but look forward to getting down to some real first grade learning when we return from the Labor Day weekend. We have begun the first part of our Daily Five, which is “read to self”, and are working on building our reading stamina. (They truly know what this word means!) More about Daily Five on back to school night . . .
Word study will begin next week with a practice sort that all of the children will receive. The class will practice words from the “it” and “at” families as a way to introduce them to the routines of sorting their words, doing homework, and taking a weekly assessment.
The words for next week for the entire class are as follows:
hit sit fit kit hat cat bat that
We are in the process of assessing the children to place them into the proper groups.
In math, we will begin by learning different ways to represent the cardinal numbers to 12. Creation will be our theme in religion, and we will focus on good nutrition in science.
A few housekeeping notes:
- Ice cream can be purchased every Wednesday.
- Please let your child know if he/she is buying lunch or bringing from home. There has been some confusion about this.
- If your child’s pick-up arrangements are different on any given day, PLEASE SEND A NOTE letting us know. Also, let your child know as well.
- If you would like to volunteer to be a classroom liaison, please pick up an application from the front office.
- Any interest in coordinating our Scholastic orders for 1B this year? Please drop me an e-mail.
- Don’t forget your child’s emergency care forms! They can be downloaded from the school website. Please return them to our classroom or to Mrs. Roth ASAP!
September 2 — Back to School night
September 5 — noon dismissal
Please e-mail me with any questions. Enjoy the long weekend before we get into the full swing of school!